Silhouette decal with Vinyl Cutter
Finding an image
- Open an Internet browser and go to http://images.google.com.
- Search for an image of an animal, plant, or thing that you’d like for a decal. Add “silhouette” to your keyword search so it looks like this → elephant silhouette.
- The image search results have optional suggested searches, such as cute, trunk up, and baby. And below that there many images to preview.
- Select an image that will have clean, simple cuts on the Cameo. This means less white space and mostly solid parts.
- Click on the image.
- Click on View Original Image. A new window will open.
- Use the right mouse button to click on the image.
- Select Save As, or Save Target As (these vary by browser) and save to a defined location like Desktop.
Using Silhouette Studio
- Launch Silhouette Studio.
- Click Open. You will be prompted to open a file.
- Change the Files of Type to All and select your object’s file.
- Your object will be placed on the worksheet, with the red cut border outlining the cut area.
- Resize the object to fit in a 4 in by 4 in area. Hold the Shift key to retain size ratio.
- Click on the Trace Window icon in the upper right toolbar. It has a blue butterfly bordered by a yellow box.
- Click on Select Trace Area.
- Click and drag a window around your object.
- Uncheck the High Pass Filter.
- Adjust the Threshold value to make sure your object is completely yellow.
- Click Trace.
- Click and drag your original object.
- The traced object will now be outlined in red.
- Delete the original object.
- Save the file as a Silhouette Studio V3 (*.studio3) file type.
- Find a Mentor to help use the Cameo vinyl cutter to complete your project.